Coronavirus – buying and selling residential property
Buying and selling property at the moment
Following the Government’s recent guidance, we wish to assure our clients that, during these uncertain and unprecedented times, we remain open for business. We are actively progressing matters and are here to take new instructions and provide any guidance to assist.
In terms of buying and selling property at this time, we are aware that the guidance is rather unclear and some media reporting has been misleading. We are here to guide you through and let you know what can and cannot be done, and how we can help with the process.
What can be done and how we can help
- If the property you are purchasing or selling is unoccupied, the transaction can proceed to completion as normal. Even where the property is not currently vacant, some sellers are willing to assist sales by going into other accommodation, where feasible.
- Please be assured that re-mortgages can proceed as normal.
- We are actively progressing all sales and purchases (where completion cannot yet occur) to ensure that, as soon as lockdown is lifted, completion can take place without delay.
- We are able to provide advice for clients looking to place their property on the market. This can include providing a fee quote, talking through the ins and outs of the sale, and completing all the necessary documentation in readiness.
- We are liaising with lenders to extend their mortgage offers where completion cannot take place, and with various surveyors, removal companies and tradespeople to enable our clients to have inspections and reports carried out in vacant properties.
- We, and those with whom we work, are committed to finding the best route through the guidance for each client, without breaching the social distancing requirements.
What cannot be done and how we can help
- It is not possible at the moment to complete sales or purchases where a party is suffering from COVID-19 symptoms or is self-isolating.
- We cannot complete sales or purchases where removal companies are unavailable.
- In both these circumstances, where exchange has already taken place, we are working hard with our counterparts to agree to a delayed completion date.
If you have any questions about buying or selling your residential property during the lockdown period, and beyond, please contact:
Aimee Sutton (Lewes) – 01273 403391
Suzanne Bowman (Lewes) – 01273 403220
Caroline Roberjot (London) – 0207 024 3607