At Adams & Remers we’ve seen our clients through over three centuries of agricultural change.
We have continued to act for many generations of farming and landed families, plus 21st century rural businesses that embrace diversification.
We’re often the first port of call for many farmers, land owners and rural organisations in the UK. Our Agriculture & Rural Estates team delivers effective bespoke services that meet the diverse needs of our clients.
Our expertise is well established and we have continued to act for many generations of farming and landed families, plus 21st century rural businesses that embrace diversification. Our sector expertise is recognised by the independent Legal 500 and Chambers UK and Chambers High Net Worth directories where we rank as a leading law firm for agriculture and rural affairs.
“Attention to detail and good timely communications.”
We draw upon the skills and expertise of five different departmental teams within the firm relating to property, company, employment, dispute resolution and private client work. This cross-departmental approach means we have the skilled manpower to continually deliver flexible and bespoke services to meet the varying and changing needs and challenges our clients face, especially relating to:
• Farm Sales & Purchases
• Landlord & Tenant
• Occupational Licences
• Planning & Development
• Rights of Way & Access
• Wayleave Agreements
• Title issues and first registration
• Securing Possession of Land/Property
• Enforcement Notices
• Partnership Disputes
• Negligence, Nuisance & Trespass Claims
• Agricultural Land Tribunals
• EU Regulations
• Disputes concerning Trusts and Estates
• Boundary Disputes
• Tax Planning
• Trust Advice
• Trust Formation and Amendment
• Wills & Probate
• Terms & Conditions of Employment
• Advice on TUPE
• Service Occupancy Agreements
• Business Structures
• Joint Venture Agreements
• Contract Farming
• Share Agreements
• Sale and Purchase of Businesses
• Compliance Matters
• Asbestos and Contamination Issues
• Telecommunications Mast Issues
Our Recent Work
We have considerable experience of how landed estates operate and of the management, taxation and devolutionary issues that they face, including those arising where estates are owned by a series of complex trusts which lead to complex taxation questions, such as agricultural property relief and inheritance tax issues. We are also highly experienced in dealing with the diverse range of property law matters arising in landed estates, including manorial rights, landlord and tenant issues, unregistered land, agricultural tenancies, development agreements, planning issues, easements and property disputes.
• Advising one of the partners of a family farming partnership on various disputed commercial and practical issues
• Acquisition of freehold land for viticultural purposes
• Advising on agricultural property and farmhouse reliefs for inheritance purposes
• Claim to sheep grazing rights
• Dispute over rights for registration of title of estate
• Application for first registration of land including identification of boundaries
• Sale of farmland with single payment entitlements
• Fishing permit dispute
• Successful applications for Certificates of Lawful Use and Development relating to non-agricultural use of farmland and buildings
Our team host well-received seminars. Seminars covering current issues that impact the agricultural and rural sector are planned on an ongoing basis. We also write articles for national and trade media, including Country Life, The Independent, The Guardian, BBC Online, Farmers Guardian and other agricultural titles. Adams & Remers is committed to supporting heritage activities and is a member of the Historic Houses Association, the Country Land and Business Association and the Agricultural Law Association. Partners are trustees of various organisations including Sussex Heritage Trust.