The SRA has received information that a member of the public has received an email falsely claiming to be from Simon Jones of Adams & Remers LLP.
What is the scam?
- The SRA has received information that a member of the public has received an email falsely claiming to be from Simon Jones of Adams & Remers LLP.
- The email is titled “Re: protracted and stalled funds” and claims to relate to a transfer of funds from the UK. The email states that the sender intends to reactivate and sort out the transfer and asks that the recipient responds to the email at their earliest convenience.
- The email uses the address “email@example.com” and claims to be sent by Simon Jones at Trinity House, School Hill, Lewes, Sussex BN7 2NN. The email also gives the website address: www.adamsandremers.com
Is there a genuine firm or person?
- Simon Jones is a genuine solicitor who is authorised and regulated by the SRA. He is a Partner at the genuine firm Adams & Remers LLP who are also authorised and regulated by the SRA. The genuine firm’s head office is Trinity House, School Hill, Lewes, Sussex BN7 2NN and genuine website is www.adamsandremers.com.
- Both Adams & Remers LLP and Simon Jones have confirmed that neither of them have any connection to these scam emails.
What should I do?
- When a firm’s or individual’s identity has been copied exactly (or cloned), due diligence is necessary.
- If you receive correspondence claiming to be from the above firm(s) or individual(s), or information of a similar nature to that described, you should conduct your own due diligence by checking the authenticity of the correspondence by contacting the law firm directly by reliable and established means.
- You can contact the SRA to find out if individuals or firms are regulated and authorised by the SRA and verify an individual’s or firm’s practising details.
- Other verification methods, such as checking public records (e.g. telephone directories and company records) may be required in other circumstances.
Contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority for further details at this link.